There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Poetry will be closing submissions on June 17, 2022, so that the editorial team can give its full attention to the poems that are already waiting to be considered. We will reopen for submissions on September 15, 2022. We are grateful for your patience and look forward to reading your new work when we reopen.
Holly Amos, Angela Flores, Lindsay Garbutt, Adrian Matejka, and Fred Sasaki
How to Submit
Please submit up to 4 poems (up to 10 pages total) for consideration, following these guidelines:
1. Upload your poems in a single document.
2. Click SUBMIT, and you’ll receive an email confirming that we received your submission. You can check the status of your submission by logging into your Submittable account.
*For those submitting video or audio files, please also include a written copy of your text, as both would be published if accepted for publication. If there are movement components to your poem which are performed by an artist other than the poem’s author, please include their name and bio as well.
**For those submitting poems in languages other than English, please also submit a copy of the poem in English. This is needed as an accessibility consideration for our editorial staff, not as an attempt to privilege the English language.
- Please send only one submission at a time per category, and wait until you hear back from us before uploading a new submission. We are eager to provide ample time and space for everyone’s voices to be considered, so if you do send multiple submissions, they will be archived unread and will receive no response.
- Our response time can be up to 8 months. We appreciate your patience--we have a small staff who reads over 100,000 poems per year.
- To make sure you receive our response, set your spam filter to allow emails from email@example.com.
- We consider only previously unpublished work. Writing that has appeared online for any reason, including social media posts, is considered to have been previously published and should not be submitted.
- Poetry is open to simultaneous submissions, but let us know immediately if work is accepted elsewhere by adding a message to your submission specifying the work that is no longer available.
- All poets will be compensated for published poems. For text poems, we pay $10/line with a minimum honorarium of $300 per poem. For visual poems, audio poems, and video poems, we pay $300 per poem. If a piece is published in multiple formats, such as print and video, we pay for each format.
- If you have further questions, please visit our detailed FAQ on our website.
Please click the HELP link at the bottom of this page if you have trouble using this site.
If you are unable to use Submittable for any reason, please visit our FAQ page to learn other ways to submit your work.