2022 Ruth Lilly and Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Poetry Fellowships
Ruth Lilly and Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Poetry Fellowships in the amount of $25,800 each will be awarded to five young poets through a national competition sponsored by the Poetry Foundation. Established in 1989 by the Indianapolis philanthropist Ruth Lilly and increased in 2013 with a gift from the Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Memorial Fund, the fellowships are intended to encourage the further study and writing of poetry.
A list of previous winners can be found on our website.
Thank you in advance for sharing your submission for the Ruth Lilly and Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Poetry Fellowship. We look forward to the opportunity to engage carefully with the application.
The Ruth Lilly and Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Poetry Fellowship Committee
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
To honor the intentions of our fellowships, we have established specific eligibility requirements for applications. If you do not meet these requirements, we still hope to engage with you and read your work. We encourage you to submit to Poetry magazine.
- Applicants must reside in the U.S. or be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and no older than 31 years of age as of April 30, 2022.
- Applications will be accepted from May 2, 2022, through June 2, 2022, at 11:59 PM (Central Standard Time).
- Applications must be made through this submission website (Submittable); applications via email are not permitted. If you have accessibility needs or concerns about using Submittable, please email email@example.com.
- Poems previously published in journals or books may be included in your application.
Please assemble your application materials as a single file (we are only able to access file types that are pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf, wpf at this time).
This document must include:
1) An approximately 500-word introduction that should address:
- Your studies of poetry so far and/or the poets who influence your work
- The ways in which you engage with your community
- Your goals for the future
2) Ten pages of poems. You may include multiple poems on one page, but total pages of poems must not exceed ten. You are welcome to include poems that have already been published.
Name this document FELLOWSHIP [LAST NAME]_[FIRST NAME] (example: FELLOWSHIP Doe_John.doc)
Please ensure that all required materials are included in one document. We are not able to review application materials submitted in multiple files at this time.
The selected Fellows will be celebrated in the fall. All applicants will receive an email letting them know the status of their application once decisions are made. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.