Thank you for sharing your work with Poetry. We look forward to the opportunity to engage carefully with your work. Due to the number of submissions we receive each year, we will likely get back to you within eight months. We appreciate your patience.
Adrian, Angela, Holly, Jeremy, Lindsay, Shoshana, and Winshen
How to Submit
Please submit up to 4 poems (up to 10 pages total) for consideration, following these guidelines:
1. First save your poems as a single document.
2. Then complete the form with your information and upload your poems
3. Click SUBMIT, and you’ll receive an email confirming that we received your submission. You can check the status of your submission by logging into your Submittable account.
- Please send only one submission at a time per category, and wait until you hear back from us before uploading a new submission. We are eager to provide ample time and space for everyone’s voices to be considered, so if you do send multiple submissions, they will be archived unread and will receive no response.
- We have a small staff that reads over 100,000 poems per year. Because we strive to give every submission careful review, our response time can be up to eight months. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
- If you have published your work in Poetry during the last year, please wait until next year to submit any new work.
- We consider only previously unpublished work. Writing that has appeared online for any reason, including social media posts, is considered to have been previously published and should not be submitted.
- We welcome poems in all languages. For poems that are not primarily in English, please include a translation of the non-English portion(s) of the poem. This is an accessibility consideration for our editorial staff, not an attempt to privilege the English language.
- For those submitting video, please also include a written copy of your text, as both video and text would be published if accepted for publication.
- If your submission involves collaboration with another poet or artist, please include their name and 20-word bio as well.
- Poetry is open to simultaneous submissions, but let us know immediately if work is accepted elsewhere by adding a message to your submission specifying the work that is no longer available.
- All poets will be compensated for published poems. We pay $10/line with a minimum honorarium of $300 per poem.
- To make sure you receive our response, set your spam filter to allow emails from email@example.com.
- If you have further questions, please visit our detailed FAQ on our website.
Please click the HELP link at the bottom of this page if you have trouble using this site.
If you are unable to use Submittable for any reason, please visit our FAQ page to learn other ways to submit your work.
Thank you for your interest in Poetry magazine!